What is PREP for
Pre-exposure prophylaxis or PrEP is a daily pill that can help prevent HIV. If you don’t have HIV, taking PrEP every day can lower your chances of getting HIV by more than 90%. The efficacy of oral PrEP has been shown in four randomized control trials and is high when the drug is used as directed.
PrEP at a glance
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is antiretroviral drugs taken daily by HIV negative people most at risk of HIV infection to reduce their chances of becoming infected.
- If used consistently, PrEP can reduce the risk of getting HIV from unprotected sex by over 90%. However, because it’s not 100% effective, it should always be used with condoms, safer sex practices, clean injection equipment, and other HIV prevention methods.
- PrEP is not meant to be a lifelong intervention. It is a method of HIV prevention during periods when a person is at greatest risk of acquiring HIV.
- PrEP is available across Kenya and it is free of charge at all public health facilities.
Jilinde Impact Dashboard
The Bridge to Scale project also known as Jilinde is a four-year project launched in July 2016. Jilinde is one of the projects at the fore front of the roll out of PrEP in Kenya. The project which is funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation seeks to move oral Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) from research and demonstration settings into a large- scale public health response in Kenya. Over 20,000 people at highest risk of HIV infection will receive oral PrEP, which will be integrated within existing HIV combination prevention services.
Goals of Jilinde
- Demonstrate that oral PrEP works to reduce HIV incidence among sub-populations at highest risk of HIV infection when implemented at a population level in “real life” routine service delivery.
- Develop and document an acceptable, affordable, and replicable approach to launch and scale-up the use of oral PrEP among those at highest risk of HIV.
- Ensure political, donor, and community support for the scale-up of oral PrEP.
Latest news from our blog
Keep up to date with our latest news and blog posts. Find out what we’ve been doing and read about the latest industry news on PrEP and HIV/AIDS.